Mittwoch, 26. April 2017

Raymond Carver on Drinking

INTERVIEWER
Could you talk a little more about the drinking? So many writers, even if they're not alcoholics, drink so much.
CARVER
Probably not a whole lot more than any other group of professionals. You'd be surprised. Of course there's a mythology that goes along with the drinking, but I was never into that. I was into the drinking itself. I suppose I began to drink heavily after I'd realized that the things I'd wanted most in life for myself and my writing, and my wife and children, were simply not going to happen. It's strange. You never start out in life with the intention of becoming a bankrupt or an alcoholic or a cheat and a thief. Or a liar.
INTERVIEWER
And you were all those things?
CARVER
I was. I'm not any longer. Oh, I lie a little from time to time, like everyone else.
INTERVIEWER
How long since you quit drinking?
CARVER
June second, 1977. If you want the truth, I'm prouder of that, that I've quit drinking, than I am of anything in my life. I'm a recovered alcoholic. I'll always be an alcoholic, but I'm no longer a practicing alcoholic.

From: The Paris Review, Issue 88, Summer 1983

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen